A pond pump is a vital piece of equipment for any garden pond. It circulates the water, keeping it oxygenated and healthy. The pump should be positioned so that the water is drawn from the deepest part of the pond and then expelled to the upper levels, where it will be distributed evenly around the pond. The pump cable should be long enough to reach from the pump to the deepest part of the pond, but it’s not always easy to know how long this is.
How To Extend Pond Pump Cable
There are a few ways to extend the cable on a pond pump. One is to use a longer extension cord. Another is to use an outdoor rated power strip and plug the pump into that. Yet another is to use an outdoor rated junction box and run the pump cord out of the box, and then plug the box into an outdoor outlet.
– Pond pump – Extension cord
- Strip the insulation from each end of the cable thread one end of the cable through the
- Cut the cable to the desired length with a sharp pair of scissors
- Take the cable out of the pond pump
– Pond pumps should be plugged into a GFCI outlet. – The pond pump cable should be long enough to reach the outlet, and should have a waterproof connector on the end. – If the pond pump cable is not long enough, it can be extended with a waterproof extension cord.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Run Above Ground Pool Pump With Extension Cord?
Yes, you can run an above ground pool pump with an extension cord as long as the cord is rated for the amperage of the pump.
Can I Use An Extension Cord With A Fountain Pump?
If the extension cord is rated for the same wattage as the pump, then it should be safe to use.
Can You Use An Extension Cord With A Submersible Pump?
An extension cord can be used with a submersible pump, but the pump must be listed as being safe for use with an extension cord. Also, the extension cord must be the correct size and rating for the pump.
Taking Everything Into Account
To extend the pond pump cable, purchase an extension cord that is the same voltage and amperage as the one that came with the pump. Strip the insulation from both ends of the cord, twist each wire together, and screw a connector onto each end.